My favorite block

My favorite block
Spinning Snowball block

Monday, March 14, 2011

LeMoyne Star Class by Paula Barnes

I've begun a very busy month for quilting.  Last Saturday, I took a pajama party class from Paula Barnes on her LeMoyne Star pattern.  Ten of us got together in our pj's to learn her technique.   Some of us had just looked at the picture on Quilter's Emporium's newsletter and assumed it was a large quilt.  NOT!  Each block has 36 little one inch squares.  All but 4 squares are half square triangles.  Fortunately for my eyesight, she recommends using Star Singles by Spinning Star Design.  Using these paper patterns, you can make 8 half square triangles from two 5-inch squares of fabric.  Much easier than sewing all those tiny HSTs.  They come in all different sizes from www.spinningstardesign.com

Paula's quilt features Civil War fabrics but I elected to use brights and batiks from my stash.  I got one block done that night.  It has taken me the rest of the week to sew, cut, and press the rest of the HSTs.  I sewed two more blocks today.

Here is my first block.

No comments:

Post a Comment